8 Apr 2018

5th April 2018 First spring-like warmth.

 *

Thursday 5th 41F, 5C, bright and breezy but expected to become windy and wet. It did, so I didn't have a ride.

Friday 6th 35-53F, 2-12C, light winds with a bright start under a cloudless sky. A white overnight frost is soon burning off in the sunshine. A chill, westerly breeze at first. Not many birds today. A few Yellowhammers in the roadside hedges and a noisy Chaffinch. Right boot still nagging at my ankle. Spent the day in the garden. No ride today.

Saturday 7th 42-56F, 6-13C, bright and breezy with high cloud. The breeze was roaring in the trees as I walked to the lanes. Saw a Harrier, two geese, disturbed three partridges and countless other birds.

It was blowing a headwind gale when I left on my trike. My curved route and the varying wind direction made life even more difficult. I was hanging over the upwind wheel at one point where there were open fields and no sheltering hedges. Too warm despite having changed to a lighter cycling jacket. Saw lots of cyclists out training. Much more fun on the way home with a tailwind. Only 15 miles.

Sunday 8th 46-65F,  8-18C, almost calm, bright and sunny. With thin, high cloud making the sky milky again. Much too warm in my usual, winter, walking jacket. The Ecco right boot is improving slowly if I leave the laces loose and not above the ankle bend. The left boot is no problem now. Walked for an hour a and a quarter around the edges of the fields. Saw a single hare by the marsh pond. Only a couple of Mallards today after supporting literally hundreds in the late autumn. Amazing rutting caused by run-off from the sloping fields.

I was allowed out for a shopping run. Spring is definitely sprung! I left off the tights and donned my fingerless gloves for the first time this year. 64F on my return and it's full sun forecast for all afternoon. Only 7 miles. It maxed out at 65F as I was too warm in a T-shirt working out in warm sunshine out in the garden.

Click on any image for an enlargement.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment