19 Jan 2018

17th January 2018 Knit 1, purl 1... Litter R.I.P.

 *

Wednesday 17th 33F, 1C, light wind, overcast clearing to some brightness. Walked to the village and back. My chest has been feeling a bit 'wet' for the last couple of days. With occasional feelings like breathlessness or mild asthma. The same symptoms I experience after using WD40. Not much to report today except for a heron landing on a roadside field. The temperature didn't change all day.

Knit one, purl one.

Rode north mid afternoon returning at dusk. Which was delayed by a late excursion of a watery sun along the horizon. Only a few GTGPs drivers to worry about. I managed 28mph on one descent with a light crosswind. [-7C equivalent allowing for wind chill] Without the slightest discomfort from the GG Nordic gloves. They really do isolate the hands completely from both the cold and the wind. The mild winter has resulted in almost a doubling of the usual rat population according to the news. 13 miles.


Thursday 18th 33F, 1C, very heavy overcast. Less than an inch of wet, overnight snow. My walk started with light rain but  soon turned to sleet and then continuous wet snow. I walked far enough to disturb the fidgety gulls and then returned to the main road. Dodging the slushy tire/tyre spray then became a priority. Molehills are disfiguring many a lawn now. I'm not sure covering traps with black builder's buckets actually improves the view.

Friday 19th 35F, 2C, calm, with still windmills, cloudy but brighter. I walked the opposite way to my usual direction as a low sun broke through the clouds. Having turned a corner I was treated to a very mixed flock of birds foraging in the leaf litter of a small beech wood. There were leaves going everywhere as Bramblings, Great and Blue tits, Chaffinches and Blackbirds all busied themselves over procuring breakfast. Then a pretty grey Shrike arrived and worked the leaf litter in front of the woods. Unfortunately it flew off as a car passed along the lane.

2017 was the second warmest year since 1880 following 2016s all time record warmth and matching 2015. So there's really nothing to worry about. It looks like a strong cooling trend, to me. Global warming is cured and we can all relax by the pool in December.


It has now clouded over again as I await morning coffee. A shopping ride is indicated but how long is a piece of string? Only 7 miles apparently. Several birds of prey flew alongside and several more perched overhead in trees. Should I be very afraid? It had brightened up again around lunch time but not for long.

Saturday 20th 34F, +1C, heavy overcast, light winds. Wintry showers possible. And duly supplied! Early fine rain soon turned to a quite a decent blizzard as I walked along. Though it was short lived and I had dried out by my return. McSlob's McSlob is back to its old tricks again. With seven new items since my last inspection tour of two days ago.


Click on any image for an enlargement.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment