1 Feb 2015

1st February 2015 Even more snow.

*******
Sunday 1st 30-34F, -1+1C, light breeze, heavy overcast, snowing! I had a walk up to the distant woods and back along the road as the snow went from occasional flakes to moderate snowfall. Hundreds of rooks foraging at the moment. They are easily recognised by their long, off-white beaks. I disturbed a tree full of Fieldfares.

Landscape taken during light snowfall.

By the time I went for a ride it was snowing hard. With a 2 o'clock cross headwind I was soon plastered and half blinded despite the yellow lens sunglasses. I should have taken the TA cap for its peak for more protection. Even the trike was completely covered in snow as I came out of the supermarket.

The definition of a special offer in a Danish supermarket: Take this normal stock item off the shelf and hide it in the warehouse. Then, when the special offer period is over, bring it back out again and put hundreds on display at full price! Welcome to the twilight zone of Danish retail monopoly.

I was just reading that the Coop/Fakta are planning to close more branches. Fortunately only one closure will affect my present shopping habits. By coincidence they have always had miserable staff. Just like the other local branch they closed locally. Perhaps they should send secret shoppers to their struggling branches to check for such staff problems.

How difficult can it be to employ pleasant staff?  Real people with the necessary skills to make shopping an enriching experience for everybody? Mast Danish supermarkets seem to employ pre-pubescent staff these days with no interpersonal skills to speak of. Staff turnover in many branches is so rapid that one rarely see the same face twice.

It had stopped snowing by the time I headed for home but the wind was increasing and turning from a cross to a headwind. Not particularly energetic today despite cruising at 20 mph for a few miles on the aero bars. I shall definitely have to do something about that saddle! Only 16 miles.

Here I managed to capture myself in a roadside mirror while cornering hard at -2C in my winter cycling clothing. Aesse jacket, DHB shorts and Northwave MTB boots keep me comfortable. The image is fuzzy due to heavy cropping. I only shared this "selfie" for the amusing distortion in the convex mirror. I have no idea why I look so cross.

Monday 2nd 30F, -1C, almost still, overcast, snowing steadily with small flakes. Went for a walk keeping to new spray tracks to enjoy new viewpoints. I am spoilt rotten for pretty landscapes if you don't demand soaring mountains in the background. By the time I returned I was well covered in snow but there is still only about an inch or two of snow lying. Enough to make everything white but still easy to walk on the fields thanks to the hard frozen soil underneath.

The views were softened by the snowfall but remained not too blurry. My pictures in mist can often look badly out of focus. It is a shame that you can't enjoy my images full screen as I do. One gets a much better sense of 'being there' with far more realistic perspective. I watched a deer through my binoculars as it crossed a large field to reach the woods. Hundreds of footprints on the fields suggest considerable animal traffic at night. Deer prints of several sizes and hares had left their marks on the spray tracks I followed. Perhaps suggesting that they favour the smoother surface without having to drag their feet through the still-grassy, immature crops.

The aches and pains from my involuntary acrobatics have now subsided. Though I still can't lean on my damaged forearm it hasn't bothered me too much while riding. Not even when resting on the aero bar arm rests, provided I took some care about placement. I now have the elbow rests only slightly splayed outwards to the rear. I have also leveled the saddle nose. Hoping to reduce discomfort while in the aero position. I just hope it suits my normal riding position on the hoods!

I was buffeted by a crosswind on the way but it had decreased on the way back. I was treated to a gorgeous orange sunset burning along the horizon beneath the grey lid all the way home. A times the light rose like a jewel in a ring. I seemed to be very breathless going but felt better on the return journey. 13 miles.  

*******

No comments:

Post a Comment